TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - We can't measure VE of the engine with this setup, and I'm
People Seeking Info

Subject We can't measure VE of the engine with this setup, and I'm

Posted by Ash's Z on October 06, 2006 at 10:23 PM
  This message has been viewed 398 times.

In Reply To VE is largely controlled by cylinder filling. Intake posted by CaliguyPurdue on October 06, 2006 at 04:07 PM

Message not exactly sure what the standard would be for figuring this on a forced induction setup.

A simple model that would generate comparable data would be to calcuate the theoretical VE (100%) and multiply that by the pressure ratio and compare that to the MAS voltage to CFM conversion.

Just thining it through here:

Engine CFM:
181in^3 @ 4000RPM, 100% VE = 209CFM at 0 manifold pressure.
Lets presume in this test the car was right at 14.5psi of boost, which would be a pressure ratio of 2. That would be our multiplication factor for the CFM, putting it at 418CFM at 100%VE of the system as a whole.
I'm pulling this out of thin air, but lets say the MAS voltage is 3.83V, putting it at 334CFM. This would tell us the system is operating at 80% volumetric efficiency.

This calculation could be performed for each RPM interval and provide a nice little chart showing how well the system breathes. The best this about this information is that it is comparable whereas a dynochart is a function of how well you take advantage of that airflow. Ultimately, we want to know how well the system moves air and all the cumulative efficiencies of each component will be reflected in this model.

I am all ears with this little project though - I would enjoy to hear your thoughts on this approach and any suggestions you may have. :)

[ ashspecz.com ]
[ agpowers@bellsouth.net ]

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.